Sunday, February 19, 2012

Venus...Its about to get personal

Well, well, well, Ms. Venus we have some things to talk about don't we?  I don't know if this will be the begining of keeping up with my blog but today its about to get personal.  How many of you know that you really can't compartmentalize your life?  You may think that you can but it all bleeds together sooner or later.  This weekend while listening to an amazing lady, Melanie Long, speak about rejection and the affects it has on our lives I realized I've got some house cleaning to do!  She spoke about making vows in your life and some of them you know about and some you don't realize.  And let me tell you that this little statue popped into my head when she started talking about idoltry.  So I decided maybe I should just take a look at the history of this statue.  If you've spent any time in the art world you will recognize this statue as Venus de Milo.  I wikipedia'ed Venus today and was shocked at what I found!  I've always known Venus as the "goddess of love"  thats not so bad right?  Plus, I don't believe in Greek gods and goddess's so its no big deal.  However, once I read about her today and realized that while I don't believe she is real, many other people did and made sacrifices to her.  And while there may not be an actual goddess out there that looks like this I certainly believe there is a spirit behind that marble.  Let me just summerize really quickly what I read:

Venus is not the god of love but of sexual love and sexual desire.  Venus embodies sex, beauty, enticement, seduction and persuasive female charm among the community of immortal gods.  Her name comes from the latin root for poison, venom.  Shes also known as the goddess of prostitutes. 

Now does that sound like something beautiful?  I can't tell you how many times I've sat down and looked over at this sweet little statue and thought, wow, shes really beautiful.  There is a reason for this!  She embodies sex, beauty, enticement and seduction!  Thats the exact response shes is supposed to get from me.  So I kicked Venus out the door! I know that some of my readers are going to think that I'm crazy and taking things a little too far but thats ok.  I don't want something that represents poison, in my home not even if she comes in a pretty little package!  Plus, what kind of message does that send to my daughter?  I want her to grow up and know REAL LOVE not sexual desires!   
1 John 4:10
This is real love—not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins.

1 comment:

  1. That is crazy....I have always thought Venus was beautiful too...now I know why.

    ReplyDelete