Available Art

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Not what I expected but thats OK!


Today I started out feeling good about painting. I wanted to do something small because as some of you know I have limited time to paint. A kid really throws a wrench into doing what you want, when you want (as does a job).

 I went a little smaller than usual 4x6 when normally I don't do smaller than 5x7 so perhaps that was part of my problem. I was also trying a technique that is fairly new to me. I've used it maybe 3 times before. The first picture was my first lay down of color.


I was still feeling ok by the second lay down of color but it wasn't going as well as I had hoped. By the last picture I had basically given up. It was between picture 2 and 3 that I had that had to decide is it worth continuing to paint?

When your artwork doesn't come out like you want it to you have to evaluate why!  Its a learning experience! Why didn't my painting work the way I envisioned it today?
1. Lot of stuff going on in a very tiny space
2. I didn't do an initial drawing to make sure I had strong bones to work with and it showed!
3. I worked mostly from memory which I have very little experience doing.
4. I wanted something quick and easy and I picked something not quick and easy
5. New technique and I'm not sure I really understand it. But when it works I love it!!!!

By the way my Mother-in-Law really likes this painting.   Gotta love your fans!

No comments:

Post a Comment